Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Community Support and Class Dojo

I am excited to share what's new for Team Newell in 2014! 


According to the Public Education Department, Family Parent Memo, April 2008, Community partners are valuable players in the development of children. They have a wide range of skills and knowledge and, just like families, bring resources to successfully educate all students and they also have resources to share with communities. The most effective schools find resources by looking in their own backyards- their own communities.


I recently received a school mini grant to enhance the 3 year relationship with our classroom community partner- The First Citizens National Bank. Each Friday, a bank employee visits our classroom to read and to practice money skills. I spend my own money on materials and supplies to use for this partnership that align to the Common Core State Standards and to help raise academic achievement. For this grant, I requested problem-solving money games that will help enrich, engage, and impact student learning! I was very excited to receive the grant funds!!!!!




Watching my students build relationships with the bank employees is very rewarding. Students put forth great effort and take pride in their work because they feel they matter to someone important. The employees share their wide range of skills and knowledge of money. They make great role models for my students. The collaboration has not only motivated my students to read and to count money, but it has also increased student learning in these areas. The collaboration certainly extends learning beyond the classroom walls. 






Our Spooktacular October Bank Visit

In May, my students visit the bank each year for a walking field trip. Students are very excited to tour the bank and to visit the employees who become family. I hope the relationships that have been formed throughout each school year remain strong for years. I dream that one of my students will work for The First Citizens National Bank and will visit my classroom to promote the love of reading and to strength money skills.


Other Sources of Funding: 
The First Citizens National Bank has graciously matched the funds for my school mini grant request to purchase books for all students who earn a total amount of points specified at the beginning of the year that will be tallied using an online behavior management system called Class Dojo. Students will receive books by visiting the bank and redeeming their points. 
Book Sets were funded by FCNB!






Labels were provided by FCNB to go inside all the books. 

Union Elementary has 59.7% of its students who receive Free and Reduced Lunch. Families do not have the funds to purchase extra items such as books so I am thankful for The First Citizens National Bank for giving my students the opportunity to earn books and to promote a long-lasting effect on the students who will be the residents of our community. This is going to be a good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...