Mrs. Morris suggested we purchase these magazines for our students this year! Yippee! We use them to better prepare our students for the OAA and to teach the following Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.2 Identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.3 Describe the connection between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to agrade 2 topic or subject area.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.6 Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.8 Describe how reasons support specific points the author makes in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.9 Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2–3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
Each article comes with a lesson plan, an activity master and an assessment!
I love this option. Even though the students have their own copy, I still like to project the articles on the Smart Board for whole group instruction.
We can highlight, circle, ect.
Here are a few printables that I made to expose my students to similar questions that are on the OAA & Reading Diagnostics.
These questions support the NEW Ohio Reading Diagnostics.
Click HERE to download FREE copy!