Tuesday, February 5, 2013

SMART Document Camera 330 and the Common Core


I am a visual, kinesthetic learner so the Doc Cam is right up my alley! 
DOCUMENT CAMERA 330 
What is a Smart Document Camera? 
It is a camera that turns real objects into digital content.  It enables you to display 3D objects, printed documents, and microscope slides on your computer, projector, or television. You can capture images and save them to SMART Notebook software or to a memory card. 

ATTENTION: You do NOT need a SMART BOARD to use a DOCUMENT CAMERA!

Why do you need a document camera? 
 If your school district can not afford a SMART Document Camera, please try to get your hands on any type of document camera! There are MANY kinds. They come in MANY different price ranges also! Maybe even write a grant! You will be amazed how a document camera improves accessibility, engagement, and interactivity in your classroom! 

How do I use the Doc Cam DAILY to teach the Common Core?

 I use the Doc Cam in many ways!
1. Displaying 
2. Demonstrating and Modeling 
3. Investigating 
4.Text Projecting 
5. Enlarging Text 
6. Taking Still Shots
7. Engaging 3D Content
My students have a LONG way to go, but after having the Doc Cam for just a few months, I have seen great enthusiasm toward learning and improvements in: 
 (remembering) recalling information, (understanding) explaining ideas or concepts, (applying) using information in a new way, (analyzing) distinguishing between the different parts, (evaluating) justifying a stand or decision, (creating) creating a new product or point of view. I am thankful for my document camera. 
  
1. Displaying 
*We display images on the SMART Board and write notes and label the projected image. 
* We display and zoom in on parts of the thermometer and ruler showing the smallest units and degrees. 
*We display newspapers and magazine articles. 
*We display food items to compare ingredients and nutrition. 
*We display activities and games before students try on their own. 
*We display maps, charts, and graphs. 
*We display student work. Students love to show off their work. Immediate feedback. It's amazing how student work improves when they know their peers will see it on the Doc Cam.
*We display group work for group presentations.
*We display Weekly Tests to correct answers. 
*We display comprehension passages and find the "proof" in the passage. 
*We display writing samples to critique.  
*We display artwork and photos.
* We display writing examples to show samples and scoring. We score them together using a rubric. I like this because they see what is expected instead of me telling them.
*Each morning we practice Common Core Math Standards using a variety of different resources.  Ex: "A Drop in the Bucket" -
 
Students answer the pages alone. Then we display the sheet on the SMART Board using the Doc Cam and students take turns showing and explaining answers. Using the Doc Cam for our Math Common Core 5 minute practice pages, has given me many more teachable moments than previous years when I collected papers, graded them and handed them back. 

2. Demonstrating and Modeling
* I use the Doc Cam to demonstrate new material.
Showing students "HOW TO" do some thing instead of explaining has been a rewarding experience. 
* I demonstrate how to use a calculator using the Doc Cam.  
* We use magnetic letters to spell and to teach phonic skills under the Doc Cam.
*Student use Doc Cam to teach each other. Students love to be the teacher! It's a great way for me to observe who "really" knows and understands concepts. 
*The SMART Board Notebook software has great interactive tools and gallery items, but I also like to use the Doc Cam to demonstrate and to model skills using REAL manipulatives. 
 For example:  
While teaching addition and subtraction with regrouping & borrowing, I like to use the actual mats and pieces that the students use at their desks. Students quickly understand what to do with them when they use them on their own. 
* The Doc Cam has been an AMAZING asset while teaching cursive. The students are so excited to write cursive letters under the camera and students are more engaged than ever! It has also helped improve my enthusiasm towards teaching cursive. 
3. Investigating & Exploring
* We use the Doc Cam for scientific investigations! 
We used it this month to investigate peanuts and soil. The zoom option on the camera is a great feature to see very closely. 
*We use as a microscope.
* We use the Doc Cam for math investigations. 
We used the Doc Camera to investigate the similarities and differences between the dollar, quarter, dime, nickel, and penny.  
4. Text Projecting
*We project text using the Doc Cam so all students can see it and we all are on the same page. 
It's amazing just how this simple feature helps "focus" even the most "OFF TASK" student in my room! 
* We project trade books and chapter books using the Doc Cam. If we do not have enough copies, we project the book using the Doc Cam so everyone can see. I have even taken photos of pages to print. 
*We read books using the Doc Cam.
*We practice many skills such as context clues, draw conclusions, and making predictions etc from projecting text from our favorite books. 
5. Enlarging Text
* You can enlarge text for students with vision impairments. 
I have a student who broke her glasses in November and can NOT see even when sitting in the front row. She just got new glasses today! (2/4/13) I have enlarged special items and printed them off for her. 
* We enlarge photos to read captions to practice using them for meaning for understanding informational text. 
6. Taking Still Shots
*You can use the camera to take still shots. 
I take pictures of student samples, workbook pages, books, etc using the Doc Cam so I do not have to scan them. We use the pictures in many SMART Board lessons. 
7. Engaging 3D Content
*You can use the Mixed Reality Tools to engage students with 3D content. You can use the Mixed Reality Tools with your Doc Cam as well as Google Sketch Up and 3D Warehouse. 
We used a 3D peanut and other 3D animals to explore, but I haven't quite figured out what else to do with it. As more 3D images become available, I hope to learn new ways to use 3D content.  

I am not a SMART Doc Camera Pro. I did not receive any professional development how to use it. I have viewed several You Tube videos.  I have spent many hours teaching myself how to use it and I use it daily in my classroom. It has been a very rewarding experience which I wish for ALL of you! I am still learning ways to integrate it into my daily teaching and would love any great advice or ideas.  
Please leave me a comment!

3 comments:

  1. I just bought a very cheap ($55) document camera and now I can't imagine teaching without it! Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower :)
    -Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Only $55! WOW! I can't imagine teaching without mine also!

      Delete
  2. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus document cameras for teachers I appreciate when I see well written material. Your time isn't going to waste with your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...