Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Newell Qwick-E-Mart- Common Core

I am going to add a "pretend" class grocery store to our room this fall to practice Common Core Standards. On Fridays, students will visit Newell Qwick-E-Mart.  I am currently working on a logo, price tags, and collecting items for the store. 
I am excited to rearrange the room and to work on the details. I plan to write a school mini grant for classroom materials and supplies such as several cash registers & play money! Who knows- maybe by the end of the year we can visit a local grocery store & my students will be able to help their families shop wisely!
My husband is not happy with the idea because I am saving boxes, cans, and containers in our basement!  

Grocery Pal App



Of course I have to integrate technology while shopping! Students will shop with iPod Touches using Grocery apps! There are TONS of grocery apps that add and subtract for the shopper- but I won't be choosing those :)


The 1st app we will try this fall will be The Grocery Pal App. It is an amazing app that points you toward sale items at your local supermarkets and discount stores every week. Students can compare prices at a variety of stores and ask me to "beat" the deal. They can make grocery lists, email their lists, and print coupons.  WHAT FUN!






Do you use any grocery apps for your personal shopping? If you do and you think I could use them with my 2nd graders- please share! 



Here are the Common Core Standards that my students will be practicing weekly while shopping!


Measurement and Data Standard: 
2.MD.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters. dimes, nickels, and pennies, using $ and cent symbols. 


Speaking and Listening Standards: 
SL.2.1a  Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions
SL.2.1b Build on others' conversation comments by linking them to the comments of others in the group
SL.2.3 Appropriately ask and answer questions about what a speaker says to clarify something I don't understand or to extend my understanding of a topic or issue. 
SL.2.6 Speak in complete sentences to provide details or clarification when asked


Operations and Algebraic Thinking
2.0A.1  
Add numbers within 100
Subtract numbers within 100
Add and subtract within 100 with unknown in all positions
Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one and two step word problems


2.0A.2 Use mental math to fluently add and subtract within 20


2.0A.3  
Determine whether a group of objects had an odd or even number of members
Write an equation to express an even number as a sum of two equal addends

1 comment:

  1. I'm your newest follower and a brand new blogger. I would love for you to check out my blog -

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...