Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Wii Learning - Inside Recess & the Common Core

Indoor Recess & the Common Core



Wii Learning
Our playground floods when it rains or snows and we have way too many indoor recesses so I wrote a GRANT for a Wii learning system! This FALL, we had 15+ days with inside recess due to weather and flooding. We had a few days this WINTER and SPRING has just begun! Even though I spent $100 + of my own money and I invaded my sister's attic for GREAT indoor recess toys- I rather be OUTSIDE!
Before the Wii, I worked through recess several times because I didn't want to get out toys or I showed an Arthur or Franklin movie to avoid noise & chaos! 
I have 17 boys and 8 girls who need to BURN energy! I thought a Wii would be an excellent way to stay "active" while learning during recess time!














Here are the Wii Learning games that we use to integrate Common Core Standards! Some are just used for exercise & as a reward.  Who knew learning could be so fun!



Since there are only 30 some days left of school- we are starting a Wii bowling competition to add to our behavior management program as a reward. 
Each day I will write the words "Wii Bowl" on the dry erase board. I will erase letters when students are not following the classroom rules. If there are letters left on the board at the end of the day, 2 students will compete against each other in Wii bowling. If there are no letters, there will be NO bowling. Students have bracket sheets and we will record daily results. We will also figure out how many more pins were needed to win by practicing 2 or 3 digit subtraction problems!  
ROGER was our 1st winner! 
Adrian needed 39 more pins. 


Do you use any great Wii Educational LEARNING games? 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting me! Love your Wii idea- how exciting for your students! What a great motivator! Looking forward to snagging some great tech. ideas!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun! (the wii not the flooding). I just found your blog. I can't wait to check it out more.
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    bakteach16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I found your blog! My friend the PE Teacher, would love this. I am your newest follower! Come visit me...

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    Thanks for following our blog. I'm your newest follower!

    Lisa

    Stories from Room 114

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...