Monday, January 27, 2014

Common Core Writing, Super Writers, and Kindle Edition Books 99 Cents

Even after teaching for 18 years, I still think WRITING is one of the hardest things to teach! We write everyday in a variety of different ways. We write to support our answers on Math and Reading Assessments! 
I am very proud of my students BUT............
 I doubt my writing instruction and I am confused what I should expect a second grader to be able to do! Are my expectations developmentally appropriate?
The Ohio Department of Education released NEW Writing Diagnostics that my students will take this spring. Rubrics are provided to score the  assessments. Where are the student samples of what ODE expects as a score of 4 in Content, a 4 in Organization, a 4 in Conventions, and a 4 in Grammar to help guide me? No SAMPLES! 

I found 2 student samples of W.2.1 & W.2.3 to reference on http://www.corestandards.org
Unfortunately, there are no Grade 2 samples for W.2.2 (informative/explanatory texts) which my students are expected to write on the Full Ohio Writing Diagnostic this spring!
I am shocked these samples are considered "good"! Ugh! 



I have found many awesome Common Core Writing Activities on TeacherPayTeachers, but I need someone to literally SHOW me!
 I need to see Common Core Writing Instruction in action. How do you develop confident second grade writers? 
Who can....
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.1 Write opinion pieces in which they introduce the topic or book they are writing about, state an opinion, supply reasons that support the opinion, use linking words (e.g.,because, and, also) to connect opinion and reasons, and provide a concluding statement or section.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.2 Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.5 With guidance and support from adults and peers, focus on a topic and strengthen writing as needed by revising and editing.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.6 With guidance and support from adults, use a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.7 Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations).
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.8 Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.

While searching online and trying to prepare for the Ohio Writing Diagnostic....
I realized there was NO ONE more qualified to show me how to become a better writing instructor and to help my students to become better writers than my HERO aka MY MOM!
   Jan Stoneburner, my mom, is a retired Upper Sandusky High School English, speech & oral communication teacher and is now a community faculty member @ Marion Technical College 


We vacation together.


We golf together.

We act silly together.


We hang out together.


WHY NOT TEACH TOGETHER?!!!
If anyone could motivate my students to believe they have Super Powers to WRITE, it would be my mom!
Day 1: Membership is POWER! 
Super Writer introduces herself and motivates students to become Super Writers also!


Clubs have secret handshakes! 
Super Writers have handshakes too!

Clubs have pins!
Super Writers have pins too!
Super Writer says, "You have to keep your eyes focused on what you are writing!"
Clubs have rewards!
Super Writers have rewards too.
Super Writers receive a star for each paragraph they write. 
Clubs have special clothing or uniforms!
Super Writers do too!
Super Writer sewed and painted 27 Super Writer Capes! 
Clubs have pledges!
Super Writers have pledges too!
Clubs use tools and work towards the same goals! Super Writers have "I am a Super Writer" Pencils, Super Power Arm Bands, Super Vision Glasses, and Super Chocolate Power. 
Clubs have initiation!
Super Writers have initiation too!


video
Super Writer Pledge and Initiation Video!


Then, Super Writers learn about emotions and feelings before writing an opinion piece.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.1 Write opinion pieces in which they introduce the topic or book they are writing about, state an opinion, supply reasons that support the opinion, use linking words (e.g.,because, and, also) to connect opinion and reasons, and provide a concluding statement or section.

Super Writer reads Gross Gus using my iPad with an Apple TV  in"Air Play" mode on the Smart Board!
 Students will tell how they feel about the book  Gross Gus.

Click HERE

Brainstorming: 
How did you feel about Gross Gus

Brainstorming: Students explain how they feel by giving examples from the story. 


Super Writers use the Hamburger Model to organize a paragraph. 
Super Writers create their own Krabby Patties to represent
The Hamburger Paragraph Model. 
Krabby Patties only have 4 parts so Super Writers add 1 extra piece to represent the 5 important parts of a paragraph! 

Super Writers work together to write a 5 sentence paragraph using temporal words and linking words. 

Day 2: 
Super Writer reads The Murky Shadow and the Special Gift on the Smart Board using an iPad with an Apple TV in"Air Play" mode.  
Click HERE

Students brainstorm on Planning Pages, fill out hamburger graphic organizers and write opinion paragraphs on their own. 




We found it is very important which Temporal/Signal words you use when writing an opinion piece. It makes a big difference!
Students used First, Next, Last. These words worked well when writing the group paragraph, but they misled the students when writing alone. They used the temporal words to tell the story in order instead of using the words to help support their first reason, next reason and last reason. 

This is the 2nd Grade Ohio Writing Screener which guides the Super Writer Opinion Writing Lessons. 






HERE is the 2nd Grade FULL Writing Measure that my students will take this spring:






After watching my Mom work with my students, I was able to observe what my students can do. I am now more sure of the direction I want to go.  One of my biggest challenges is to help students be more self-sufficient. My students did an excellent job writing a paragraph as a team, but when they were asked to do it alone some did not accept the challenge. I am hoping that my new found confidence will help encourage my students to have faith and courage in themselves for a difficult task like the Ohio Diagnostic Writing Assessment! 

Get your FREE PACK HERE!

 I made a writing pack to help prepare for the informative writing assessment. There are tons of prompts to choose from! 145 Pages!
Here is a sneak peek:







Writing pack is almost ready to share!
Thank you, MOM!
Words will never be able to express
   how my heart felt as I watched you work with my students and what the experience truly meant to me! 
You made me a better teacher!
I am forever grateful!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mindy!
    I'm an Ohio blogger/teacher too and I can feel your pain about the Ohio Diagnostic Assessments. I HATE the rubrics they provide! I am thankful that this guy changed this year to meet the Common Core for our firsties. :) I only teach writing to our firsties, so I feel blessed I have 70 minutes per class(I teach four classes) each day to work on this precious skill.
    I also LOVED your Mom and all the super hero stuff!!!!
    I'm looking forward to more great writing posts!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! We recently took our Writing Diagnostic and Super Writers did an outstanding job!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...